Filip has had a passion for designing, building, and improving products since fixing a toy when he was five years old opened a world of possibility and feelings of creation to him. From a young age he was fixing things around the house, went on to get a degree in mechanical engineering, is an expert on product creation from concept to production. He’s joining us today because he’s also the host of The Product Startup Podcast – and I thought it would be great idea to get an expert on product creation, on the path from concept to production on the show.
This is the eighth of our ‘2017 eCommerce Growth Series Sponsored by Veeqo the Number 1 Inventory Software’. The series will be running throughout January and is packed with insight and advice to help you make 2017 your best year yet. Find the full series here.
Physical products allow creators to touch customers in a way that digital products don’t and have a deeper relationship with the customer. Tactile feedback, such as color, texture, and heft of the product in your hand, bring more joy than digital products.
Build Your Own Product
Building products yourself allows customization, personalization, the ability to serve micro-niches, and gain customer feedback.
Listen to learn more about customization of products.
Ask customers questions about the product and listen to their feedback. Ask the Five Whys to dig deeper into what the customer really needs.
Listen to hear about using the Five Whys.
Preparing for Manufacture
Explore the design and get it down in a way that can be communicated to the manufacturer, such as on paper or in a 3D model. Listen to feedback from customers, then revise the design.
- Not listening to the customer
- Not understanding that investors look for execution, not ideas
- Spending too much on patent protection
Listen to learn how to save money by applying for a provisional patent.
Product Creation Top Tip
- Frankenstein dollar store parts into prototypes
- Don’t isolate yourself
- Prepare yourself for it to be difficult
- Get help
eCommerce Book Top Tip
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
eCommerce Traffic Top Tip
- Respond to comments on blogs
- Comment on articles and answer questions that the article did not cover. Offer your site address for those who want to learn more.
Tool Top Tip
- ThinkpakCards from Michael Michalko
- Give yourself time limits
Start Up Top Tip
- Know your target market, where they are, and what they like to do