Dominic Poznanski is the founder and director of LetterBox4You.co.uk. They’re an online only primarily B2B eCommerce business selling post boxes. The business started in 2012 and they are now steadily growing at 80% per year targeting a turnover in excess of £500,000 this year.
About the business
- eCommerce Business Structure – Online Only
- Product Range Scale – niche
- On Woocommerce
- Based in the UK, and sells to the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany, & United States
- Supplies letterboxes to individual homes, as well as communal letterboxes to blocks of flats or offices
- 2 in the office focused on strategy, customer service, and dispatch. Rest is outsourced.
The letterbox selling business came to Dominic accidentally. He was working full-time as a retail manager and running a consultancy business when he came across a manufacturer for letterboxes from eastern Europe trying to find clients in the UK. After the initial round of negotiations, Dominic decided to give selling letterboxes a go himself.
Listen to learn how the negotiation process taught Dominic about the market for letterboxes in the UK.
Although he’d always wanted to be his own boss, Dominic didn’t charge full steam ahead. Instead, he started by selling letterboxes on eBay to see how it would go.
Listen to learn how starting on eBay helped the business.
Switching to Website Sales
The website is currently the primary source of revenue, although they do still sell on Amazon and eBay on the side. As they worked constantly on the site to improve descriptions, work on keywords, and improve the quality of the product pictures, the growth of sales from the site happened naturally.
Listen to learn the benefits of selling on your own website instead of Amazon or eBay.
Single Brand Representation
Poznanski represents only one letterbox manufacturer. This allows him to form a close relationship with that manufacturer, and reduces the number of customer complaints and returns.
Learn more about the benefits of single brand representation by listening in.
Most Awesome Thing Right Now
Dominic’s most awesome thing right now is the level of freedom. Having your own business means you don’t get any days off, but the freedom is still there because you are the one who decides your path. Dominic also loves to see the growth. Every month he can see improvement, and every year is better than the last.
eCommerce Book Top Tip
- Read the biographics and autobiographies of other successful people
eCommerce Traffic Top Tip
- Create honest, quality content and clients will find you
You can hear about all this on the podcast, for free – right now…
Tool Top Tip
Start Up Top Tip
- Just do it. If you don’t try it, it just stays in your head forever. If you’re not embarrassed by the first version of your website, then you’re waiting too long to launch it.