Dan Dicker is the Managing Director and Founder at Circular and Co who manufacture and sell homewares with a conscience. Launched in 2003 they now £2.8m in annual sales
Dan’s background is in product design. He initially started the business as a wholesale business, which was common at that time, but in the past 7-9 years they’ve started to move more into eCommerce out of necessity as much as anything.
One of the big drivers that moved Dan into eCommerce was the desire to connect with consumers directly. eCommerce has given the company better margins, but also better control which has allowed the business to become more streamlined.
Dan loves aligning with and predicting market trends as well as driving innovation with his designs.
About the Company
- Based in Cornwall
- Selling Worldwide
- Fulfillment Centers in the US and across Europe
- Manufacturing Facilities in different regions
- Products designed from waste materials
- Closed loop production facilities
About the Product
Circular & Co. has about 50 products that are all made from waste materials.
The company has everything from a range of plant pots made from recycled milk jugs to reusable cups made from paper waste from to-go cups.
They also create cradle to cradle products for other companies by looking at their unique waste stream as the point of inspiration.
- Use WooCommerce through their website
- Global sites are unique and purchases come from local distributors
- Sell on Marketplaces like Amazon and Etsy
- Operational Software called Unleashed
Dan and his company are passionate about the circular economy. Dan made the personal and professional choice 17 years ago to make products from waste.
He says it just so happens that the rest of the world has started becoming interested in the concept. Using today’s waste for tomorrow’s products is a vitally important mission.
Dan says that he’s struck by how naive it is to ignore the importance of participating in the circular economy. If you can increase the value of material each time you reuse a material—that’s a big win.
For example, the popular mug by Circular & co increases the value of paper cup material by more than 15%.
Circular & Co. has been working in this space for years, but eventually everyone will need to participate in the circular economy.
eCommerce Book Top Tip
- Any Book that lets you escape your business entirely
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by Michael Braungart and William McDonough
eCommerce Traffic Top Tip
- Nothing beats people interacting with your product and building business via word of mouth.
Tool Top Tip
- Microsoft Teams
Growth Top Tip
- Be Mission Based and remain patient
- Ethical eCommerce and how to get to 10,000 customers in 18 months with Lucy Bloomfield
- Guest blogging and the solitary bee with Green & Blue’s Faye Clifton. All about passion
- Building a 7-figure eCommerce business with Sustainable Furniture’s Margaret Larson
Without the sponsors the podcast wouldn’t be possible – please do check them out:
Klaviyo is the world’s leading owned marketing platform known for accelerating revenue for online businesses using the channels they own like email, web and mobile. Enabling companies to leverage these owned marketing channels, Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. And unlike other marketing platforms, Klaviyo doesn’t force companies to compromise between advanced functionality or ease of use – so companies of all sizes are able to maximize their sales quickly. That’s 38,000+ innovative companies across the world sell more with Klaviyo.
Like to be a guest? Apply Here