John Leach joins us today from Beads Direct – Europe’s no.1 online bead and jewellery making retailer. Established in 2004 Beads Direct is an Online Only business stocking over 6,000 lines and providing over 1,000 free tutorials to its loyal customer base.
Click to Tweet: Hear how Beads Direct use social media to grow their #eCommerce Business on the @eComMasterPlan Podcast
About the business
- eCommerce Business Structure – Online Only
- Product Range Scale – VERY niche, it’s beads, and jewellery making accessories
- On a bespoke fully integrated front end / back end / CRM platform
- 50,000 active customers (bought in the last 12 months)
- 20 people in the business (including warehouse)
- Based in the UK, sell globally although 90% of sales to the UK
- Turnover will be £2 million this year
- Key widgets in the website:
- Feefo – for reviews
Most Awesome Thing Right Now
The close relationship with the customers, through reviews, customer service, focus groups, surveys – and of course social media:
John’s tips for successful Social media:
- Quality of your content
- It’s easier if you’re in a sector which is open to the idea of community
- Give the customer what they want
- Define what each channel is there for, for you. EG Decided Facebook was “not a sales channel” and launched it with a big virtual party
- Post regularly, and be consistent
- Leverage your social media on your other routes to market (eg weekly YouTube videos to other social channels and on email)
On the Radar for the Coming Months
- Embrace social media more! Constantly review where the effort should be being put in, and making sure we’re using it in the best way.
eCommerce Book Top Tip
- The Growing Business Handbook: Inspiration and Advice from Successful Entrepreneurs and Fast Growing UK Companies by Adam Jolly
eCommerce Traffic Top Tip
- Email. Segment to maximise your return.
Tool Top Tip
- Google Analytics – and use the customer dashboards
Start Up Top Tip
- Understand the market you are going into. Do as much pre-launch research as possible. What does your customer want?
If your business didn’t exist, which eCommerce Business Would you like to be Running?
- NotOnTheHighStreet – there’s a sense of passion, and they are clearly well integrated with all the people involved, from suppliers to the customers.